Questions about numerical questions

Hi,

I am new to Avicenna and had two questions about number questions.

1. For number questions, I have the default set to 0. This is the type of question for which the answer can sometimes be non-zero, but many times the answer could be 0. The problem is that, if a participant does want to input 0, they either have to type in the answer themselves (i.e. type 0 using the keyboard) or go with the arrows (up to ‘1’ and then back one step to ‘0’; only this way the button ‘Next’ becomes available. If they simply want to click ‘Next’ while the default is 0 it won’t work, unless they either type it themselves or go one or down one step). This can be quite annoying if you have to do this every time you want to use ‘0’. Is there an option to allow the participant to go to the next question directly, and if one does that, the number 0 would be automatically considered? Because I was thinking an option would be to make the question non-mandatory and the person could skip it, but then skipping a question would I think lead to a missing value there, which is different than the number 0. So all I want is to give the option for a participant to click ‘Next’ directly when a number question is prompted and if one does that the answer registered for that question would be the default I set. Do you think this is possible?

2. For weight questions: is it possible to have steps of 0.1? On my end, it seems the smallest you can go is with increments of 0.5, which I find surprising for a weight question. I imagine someone may want to be quite exact for these types of questions (e.g., 70.3 kg, or 65.8 kg), and forcing to round to 0.5 seems strange. Do you know if this is possible?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best wishes,
Codrin

Dear Codrin,

1. As you are aware, there are several issues with having default answers in surveys. It is generally recommended not to have any default answers selected for any type of question, thereby encouraging respondents to actively select an option that best represents their view, state, or experience. That is why, when the default answer option is toggled on, we only provide some hints.

2. Users can manually enter any value with two decimal places using their keyboard, regardless of the step size setting. The step size is essentially a convenience feature for adjusting the number using interface controls. However, if the step size is set to 0.1, users would need to click the “Up” button a hundred times to increase the number by 10.
    Let me know if this clarification helps.

Best regards,
Milad