Personalized surveys

I need to set up personalized surveys for each participant. It is the same questions but the monitoring period differs for each participant (based on their stated preference) so I have adjusted the triggering logic and created separate surveys accordingly.

I have two pilot participants enrolled - how do I set each up with a separate survey?

Dear Shreya,

If the monitoring period matches the participation period or they can join the study when their preferred period starts, then using Time triggering logics should do the job.

But, if the participants are already part of the study or they can’t join in a way that the participation period won’t match the monitoring period, then the triggering logics you set under the survey editor won’t do the job easily.

One way would be, as a baseline survey, asking the participants about how many days after joining the study they prefer the monitoring to start (let’s call this question X). Then you can define triggering logics that would repeat every day from the day the participant joins but with a criteria that checks _days_since_reg_date against the response to X and if it’s bigger than or equal to the response to X, prompt the survey. You can check the Criteria details here: Criteria | Avicenna Learn

Another way might be creating sessions manually (either one at a time or in batch). Please check this section on our Learn website: Activity Sessions | Avicenna Learn

These workarounds might have some limitations. Please check all side effects they might have with your specific study protocol.

Best regards,
Mojtaba

Hi - sorry I think i communicated this incorrectly. By monitoring period, I mean the daily window of prompts. This varies based on participants. I will run small groups of participants who will complete prompts over the same week-long window but their individual daily prompt schedule will vary. So, I think I will need personalized surveys - does this make sense?

No problem at all. Do you mean, for example, participant 1 might prefer the survey to be prompted from 12:00 to 15:00, but participant 2 might prefer the prompts from 17:00 to 20:00?

Yes, exactly! Is it possible to use the criteria function to link to certain surveys? right now i have both surveys published and my pilot participants are getting them prompted simultaneously which is blocking them from being delivered.

Would you please elaborate on “which is blocking them from being delivered”?

Also, please let me know if participants’ preferences can be mapped to sharp hours (00:00, 01:00, etc.). Or can they choose times like 12:37?

Hi there - they are showing up as being “blocked” which I looked up and apparently that refers to multiple survey prompts being sent at the same time.

To clarify - so right now I have two surveys set up - one from the window 10-3pm and one from the window 1-6 pm (as per my participants preference).

I think they both might be being delivered at the same time to the same participant because it is registering as “blocked” when i check the data, and I have checked with my participant and she is not doing anything to “block” the notification.

What I need is if i have two participants and two surveys (Participants A and B) and Surveys 1 (set up to prompt between 10-3) and Survey 2 (setup to prompt between 1-6). I need to ensure Participant A is JUST sent Survey 1 and Participant B is just sent Survey 2.

In terms of participants preferences, I just ask them to pick any 5 hour range of time that suits them and yes it is mapped to “sharp hours”.

Hope that makes sense - if it easier can we please schedule a call or another way to consult about this?

To follow-up, I am wondering if there is a certain way to use the criteria function to make this work.

For example I am thinking - if I add a question to my survey that asks participants to link their preferred monitoring period - and lets say they enter the numerical value “10” for a 10:00am start time, can I set a criterion for that?

So I will set up the triggering logic for all the possible time periods in one survey, but set up criteria for each time period so it is only selected if the participant selected the specific start time - for example, only display if “Q## = 10” for all triggers within the 10am - 3pm time frame. Does that make sense?

For this first linking question could I set up a criterion to display this question when the participant registers (i.e., the question: “what is your preferred start time”).

And then depending on how they respond I could set up criteria through the triggering logic to only trigger certain schedules (i.e., all the prompts needed for the 10am starttime) if they respond as their preferred start time being “10”. Does this all make sense/would this work?

Sorry. We don’t do calls by default unless you have a contract and support via calls is an item in the contract. That being said, we still try our best to respond to our clients on time and with the necessary quality.

Now, back to your case.

Yes. They’re blocked because right now, based on what you said, both TLs are prompted for both participants. And yes. You can use criteria similar to what I suggested in my first response above.

For this first linking question could I set up a criterion to display this question when the participant registers (i.e., the question: “what is your preferred start time”).

Yes. You can either ask the first question about time preference in a baseline survey right after they join the study. Also, you can ask them in an Eligibility Survey (although it might not be that intuitive but it has some benefits over the baseline survey, like knowing the time preference before the registration which makes TLs better to manage).

And then depending on how they respond I could set up criteria through the triggering logic to only trigger certain schedules (i.e., all the prompts needed for the 10am starttime) if they respond as their preferred start time being “10”. Does this all make sense/would this work?

Yes. It should work.

As a suggestion, you might want to use a Single-Answer question for the time preference. This way, you can add more details for each hour (e.g., “10:00 to 15:00”). Also, participants won’t be able to choose a decimal value that isn’t a valid sharp hour.

Thank you! Unfortunately I tried this and it did not work.

My participants never actually got the first question at registration asking for their time preference.

I think that I have set it up for participants to be setup within 1-3 hours of registering. Here is the display logic I have: _hours_since_reg_date >= 1 AND _hours_since_reg_date <= 3

Is my criteria set up correctly?

I also tried to set up to prompt in 0 seconds after registration but when that didnt work I changed to this (Participants reported never getting the prompt).

And then I think bc the display logic for subsequent triggering logic is all linked to responses for the prompt that didnt display, my participants have not gotten anything yet.

Is it possible for someone to take a look at how I had it setup?

Please send the survey IDs while specifying which is which and what you expect exactly for each one. I’ll check them.